Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to keep your radio in top shape-Futaba  (Read 2404 times) Bookmark and Share
Janto
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:01:28 AM »

How to keep your radio in top shape!
Q: How should I clean my transmitter\'s antenna?
A: We recommend cleaning the antenna periodically with denatured alcohol. DO NOT use any petroleum-based products or products such as WD40.
A: Your number one concern should be that linkages are tight, with absolutely no friction or stiffness from binding. Standard servos don\'t notice common problems like slop at neutral, but a digital servo will - and in the process of struggling to hold the rod in position, it will quickly drain your batteries and eventually ruin its motor. Digital servos always work to hold positions at full strength. If at any point the servo must \"fight\" the linkage to locate and hold its position, it will literally burn itself out.
A: This sounds like what\'s sometimes called \"Black Wire Corrosion.\" Over time the battery\'s negative lead, which runs through the switch harness to the receiver, will corrode. The copper wire loses its bright, \"coppery\" look and turns almost black. It also becomes brittle and inflexible.
The cause? Storing your system in a damp place with the battery installed. If you leave the wire connected to the battery, surrounded by environmental moisture, an electrical effect results that promotes corrosion of the wire. The corrosion starts at the battery pack and works its way toward the switch harness.
The air doesn\'t have to feel particularly humid to qualify as a damp environment. Storing your system in a shed or garage leaves it vulnerable to enough humidity (such as the moisture brought into the garage by your car) for corrosion to occur. It will happen even faster if the battery is not maintained and goes flat. Charge and cycle your battery regularly to prevent or slow down the corrosion.
A: Keep the transmitter clean. After every trip to the flying field, be sure to wipe away any fuel that might have gotten onto the radio using a soft, dry cloth or paper towel. Fuel is corrosive - it will soften the plastic and damage any metal or metallic parts. Over time, fuel exposure will make the radio case brittle and allow plastic parts to break easily. Always keep your radio away from your engine\'s exhaust stream.
If you notice that any stick assemblies have become stiff, do NOT try to lubricate them. These will need to be serviced.
Always wrap your radio\'s receiver in 1/2-inch thick insulation or foam to protect it from vibration. And, after cycling your transmitter battery, pay close attention to how you plug it back into the radio. Installing the battery with the polarities reversed will damage the transmitter\'s electronic components.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: